For the true audiophile, our editor’s choice of the top 10 best open back headphones are priced right and have amazing features. We assume that those of you, who are here today, are in need of a pair of open-back headphones and not a pair of simple earbuds. Every aspect counts when you are listening to your favorite music and need a top notch pair compared to a pair of earbuds.
When comparing a TAO Tronics earbud to an excellent pair of Beyerdynamic’s, there is more than just a difference in price; you get top-notch features and sound. Check out our list of top open-back headphones best suited for your budget and lifestyle here!
- More about Open Back Headphones
- Review of the Best Open Back Headphones
- Excellent Design with True Sound Reproduction
- An Open-Back Headphone for Pure Music Listening Enjoyment
- Made For Premium Sound Listeners
- An Audiophiles Headphone
- The Flagship of Headphones
- An Open-Back Headphone for Listening to Lively Music
- A Headphone Designed for the Specialist
- A Responsive Headphone at an Affordable Price
- An Acoustic Pair of Headphones
- An Imported Open-Back Headphone
More about Open Back Headphones
Since you are here to find an open-back headphone, you may already know the difference between an open and closed-back headphone. However, for those of you who do not know the difference here is the difference. An open-back headphone is open around the ears and allows some sound leak out from the earcups. The closed-back headphone closes around your ear and gives you the best sound isolation.
So, why choose an open-back earphone that allows the sound to seep through from the earcups? Noise isolation is a great feature to have. However, it can cause a build-up of frequencies when using them for hours, especially bass frequencies.
This is bad for those of you who do professional mixing and mastering. Build-up can cause chaos with the precision of your mixers. For recording vocals and any other type of instrument, the closed-back headphone is the best to use. Noise isolation is most important, as you do not want any sound produced from the headphone leaking through to the mic. This will take the clarity away from the track you are recording and make it sound blurred.
As you can see, each of these headphones designed for different purposes. Technically, they are both studio headphones and give you amazing audio quality. Therefore, if you only want to enjoy your favorite music, both of these models will do. Always, remember that there is a chance that there could be a build-up when using the closed ones.
With the open-back design, you will have a sound leak out, and others will hear what music you are listening. However, they do produce a spacious stereo imaging, and the price range is affordable and gives you audiophile quality.
Best Open Back Headphones
|The Beyerdynamic DT-990||4.5||$200- $250||Get it now on Amazon.com|
|The AKG K701||4.3||$150-$200||Get it now on Amazon.com|
|The Sennheiser HD 600||4.7||$250-$300||Get it now on Amazon.com|
|The ATH-AD700 Open-Back Headphone||4.4||$100-$150||Get it now on Amazon.com|
|The Shure SRH1840||4.7||$500-$550||Get it now on Amazon.com|
|The Sony MDR MA900||4.1||$300-$350||Get it now on Amazon.com|
|The Audio-Technica ATH-R70x||4.4||$250-$300||Get it now on Amazon.com|
|The HiFiMan HE-400I||4.5||$300-$350||Get it now on Amazon.com|
|The Philips Fidelio X1||4.4||$200-$250||Get it now on Amazon.com|
|The AKG K 240 MK II||4.5||$50-$100||Get it now on Amazon.com|
Review of the Best Open Back Headphones
Excellent Design with True Sound Reproduction
1. The Beyerdynamic DT-990
The Beyerdynamic DT-990 has an excellent design and gives you a true sound reproduction.
- Open-ear design and made with a “Bass Reflex” system for the best audio performance
- Weight: 11 oz
- Included with purchase: a carry case, gold-plated 3.5mm stereo mini-jack, and 6.35mm adapter
- Suitable to use for gaming, monitoring, and studio with the open diffuse-field design
- Ear pads: made with velour and vented and the headband is made of ABS plastic
- Impedance: 250 OHM
- Two-year warranty and labor warranty for the USA
- Frequency response: 5 – 35kHz
- Two colors black and silver
An Open-Back Headphone for Pure Music Listening Enjoyment
2. The AKG K701
The AKG K701 gives you pure music listening enjoyment if you prefer a more holistic approach when listening to your favorite playlist.
- Has a flat-wire design with Voice Coil Technology for accurate sound and fleeting response
- For accurate bass, it has a Varimotion two-layer diaphragm
- Ear pads: 3D shape design
- Headband: padded with leather
- Frequency bandwidth: 10 to 39,800 Hz
- Rated impedance: 62 OHM
- Cable length: 3m
- Gold-plated 3.5mm stereo plug & 6.3mm screw-on adapter
- Weight: 235 g
- Two-year warranty
Made For Premium Sound Listeners
3. The Sennheiser HD 600
For the premium sound listener, the Sennheiser HD 600 has a open-back design and comfortable headband with a Kevlar-reinforced cable that you can detach.
- Designed with aluminum voice coils
- Includes Neodymium Ferrous Magnets
- Color Style: black and gray
- Earpiece covers: metal and mesh
- Cable: Kevlar-reinforced copper
- Over-ear design
- Weight: 0.57 lb
- Frequency response: 12 – 39kHz
- Impedance: 300 OHMS
- Has a dynamic open transducer with a sound pressure level of 97
- Designed with circumaural ear coupling
- Includes a ¼ -inch and ⅛ -inch jack plug cable
- Two-year international warranty
An Audiophiles Headphone
4. The ATH-AD700 Open-Back Headphone
The ATH-AD700 open-back headphone is the audiophile’s dream comes true when listening to music. The earphones give you a comfortable and natural listening experience.
- Has a honeycomb aluminum structure
- 53mm Drivers designed with bobbin-wound CCAW voice coils
- Has a self-adjusting headband with wing support
- Frequency response: 5 – 30kHz
- Earpads: flexible and made with fabric
- Cord: OFC with elastic TPE sheath making it tangle-free
- The cable has a gold-plated stereo 3.5mm connector with 6.3mm adapter included
- Two-year warranty
The Flagship of Headphones
5. The Shure SRH1840
The Shure SRH1840 is a professional headphone that has impressive drivers for the best acoustic sound.
- 40 mm Neodymium drivers
- Open-back circumaural design
- Constructed of aluminum and stainless steel
- Steel driver vented frame
- Headband: dual-frame with padding and adjustable
- Included with your purchase you receive additional cables, earpads, and a case
- One-year limited warranty
An Open-Back Headphone for Listening to Lively Music
6. The Sony MDR MA900
The Sony MDR MA900 is one of the best open-back headphones you can enjoy listening to lively music. The MA900 has impressive speakers that reproduce broad and dynamic quality sound.
- Drivers: 70mm
- Open-air design
- Neodymium magnets for clear sounds
- Frequency response: 5 – 40kHz
- Impedance: 12 ohm
- Made with PET and weighs 195 grams
- Cable length is 3m with a 3.5mm input jack
- Works well with MP3 players, laptops, and your Smartphone
- One-year warranty
A Headphone Designed for the Specialist
7. The Audio-Technica ATH-R70x
The ATH-R70x is one of Audio Technica’s flagships designed for the specialist who needs an all-around pair of headphones to use for different sound purposes. You can enjoy accurately and a natural sound with these earphones.
- Has an improved 3D wing support system design
- The cables dual-sided and detachable
- The construction of the headphone consists of carbon composite resin and made with aluminum mesh housing
- Has high-efficient magnets with pure alloy magnetic circuit
- Earpads are made with breathable material
- Weighs: 220 grams
- Impedance: 470 OHMS
- Two-year limited warranty
A Responsive Headphone at an Affordable Price
8. The HiFiMan HE-400I
For those of you with a tight budget, the HiFiMan HE-400I is responsive and affordable headphone to listen to your music.
- Made with Orthodynamic magnetic drivers
- Boasts a 92.5 dB efficiency
- Use with any type of component and suitable to use with the iPod
- Available in navy blue and you can listen to different genres of music
- The cables detachable and consist of an SMC female to SMA male connector that you screw in
- Weight: 17.2 oz
- Three-year warranty
An Acoustic Pair of Headphones
9. The Philips Fidelio X1
The Philips Fidelio X1 is an acoustic pair of headphones with an open-back design and consists of pre-tilted drivers.
- Earpads: made with deluxe memory foam with a double-layered ear shell
- The powerful 50mm neodymium drivers pre-tilted at 15°
- The earpads velvet-wrapped with an automatically adjustable headband
- The headbands covered with calf leather
- Includes a 3m detachable oxygen-free cable and has a dedicated management clip
- Includes the 6.3 to 3.5mm adapter plug
- Suitable to use with your home stereo and iOS device
- Warranty: one-year
An Imported Open-Back Headphone
10. The AKG K 240 MK II
The AKG K 240 MK II is an imported open-back headphone with the over-ear design. The earphones have a semi-open structure to enjoy listening to bass with airy highs.
- Self-adjusting headband
- Uses semi-open technology
- Over-ear design
- Varimotion 30mm XXL transducers
- Available in black and gray
- Includes extra pleather pads, a 9-feet cable, and a coiled cord
- Warranty: two-year
For the audiophile our top 10 best open back headphones are priced right they will give you an amazing sound as well. If you are in need of some earbuds instead of the open-backed designed headphone, make sure to check our top 15 best earbuds under 50 dollars to find one suitable for your outgoing needs. For premium soundstage and comfort, our best open-back headphones reviewed here is capable of providing you with exactly what you need.