How To Use Drawing Tablet and What The Use Of It
With the advancement of technology, it is now possible to do away with the mouse and settle for a drawing tablet. If drawing tablet is a vocabulary to you, which is under stable since it is a new invention, this piece is a must-read. It leaves no stone unturned regarding this gadget. A drawing tablet is a hardware device designed to graphical input data into your computer. With the help of its touch-sensitive drawing surface often made using hard plastic, it converts its stylus movement into a drawing that it displays on the monitor. It has various advantages that make it better than the traditional pen and paper. One of them is the fact that it allows editing. The rest of its merits will be discussed later on.
It is good to note that the drawing tablet also has other names. They include a graphics tablet, digitizer, digital artboard, drawing pad as well as a pen tablet. It is capable of taking your graphics to a whole new level. The good thing is that you can either be an expert or novice in the artistic world and still use the device comfortably. To see to it that you know more about a drawing tablet including features, connection, and advantages, keep reading. You can also check out this: Best Drawing Tablet in 2019
Features of a Drawing Tablet
When it comes to buying drawing tablets, there are some features that you have to put into consideration. It is the reason why some drawing tablets are better than others. Before looking into the characteristics, let’s dive into the parts of a drawing tablet.
To start with, it has two parts. The first one is the drawing area. It is not only flat but also smooth. The often rectangular surface usually has invisible mathematical grids which the manufacturers divide electronically. The grids will correspond to any particular point of the drawing grid. The other component is the stylus. It allows the user to not only draw but also write on the above-mentioned drawing surface. Its controls determine the opacity, transparency, and thickness of the drawings. There are other crucial characteristics as discussed below.
Factors to consider when selecting a drawing tablet
This is the aspect of drawing tablets which determines the thickness of lines drawn. The more pressure you will apply using your stylus, the larger the width of the lines which you will draw. It also affects the transparency of the drawings. If the pressure sensitivity is relatively high, the drawing process will feel natural. Equally important, you will experience responsive drawing.
Size of the tablet
Often are times when a large tablet have proven to be better than their smaller counterparts. That’s due to the large drawing surface which gives the artist ample space. In addition to that, they come with some shortcut keys as well as high input quality. Consequently, one experiences efficient drawing. However, some are too big to the extent that swinging the hand a lot which is often uncomfortable.
The size of the screen
Don’t make the mistake of settling for a drawing tablet that has a small screen. It makes precision hard, and the cursor becomes jumpy.
Make sure that the stylus of your graphics tablet is comfortable. It should make you feel like you are drawing naturally with a normal pen and on paper.
If you already have a Mac or PC, ensure that the two works well and efficiently.
Often call hotkeys, shortcuts make it easy to apply commonly used commands. Look at the controls of the various tablets and see what they offer.
Circumstances may force you to work for long hours. Therefore, find a gadget that avoids wrist strain and facilitates comfortable working.
The tablet should be compact and lightweight in case you have to travel with it.
Durability & Cost
Buy something that will last for long for great value for your money. That’s why the two features come together.
There are other features worth considering. They include the ability to customize your tablet, tilt recognition, multi-touch, input lag, driver stability and resolution.
How to connect a drawing tablet to a computer or other devices
As far as his to connect a drawing tablet to a computer or any other device is concerned, it all depends on the interface adopted by the manufacturer of the gadgets. Some are wireless while others use USB cables. Below are steps that can help with the connection.
Most of the drawing tablets come with a CD. It usually contains a manual of the device, drivers as well as the installation software. It is advisable first to install the software and then plug in the drawing tablet. In most cases, the software comes with a wizard that makes the process a matter of following the given steps one after the other.
In the event that the package lacks the CD containing software and installation drivers, there is no need to worry. All is not lost. That’s because you can do the following.
- If the graphics tablet is not wireless, plug it into your computer using a USB cable.
- Then, download and later install the driver.
- After that, restart the computer if it uses the Windows operating system. As for the Mac users, that step is unnecessary.
- Lastly, follow the given instructions until the two are working correctly.
- However, a need may arise for you to customize it to meet your standards. If that were to be the case, do not hesitate to consider the following procedure.
A step by step guide on how to connect a drawing tablet to a computer
- Click the start button
- Tap on the Control Panel under which you will select Hardware and Sound
- On that page, scroll down until you find your tablet. Under its name, click on Set up your Pen and Tablet
- Use the arrows to determine how the pen buttons will work
- You can make other selections including how the pen tip feels with the likes of the Soft-Firm slider.
- It is possible to experience a click sound when using your drawing tablet by ticking the Click Sound checkbox.
- The Advanced button helps you determine how the pen works.
- Click on OK to set your preference
- Toggle to the Tablet tab and choose depending on the hand you often use
- Finally, use the close box to save all that as the default settings
As much as the procedure may vary from one brand to another, the deviation may not be too big to affect the setup. Equally important, most drawing tablets come with manuals that can make the process a walk in the park. You can also check out this: Best Drawing Tablet in 2019
How to use a Graphics Tablet and Pen
As much as using a drawing tablet is more efficient than using a pen and paper, the transformation may not be a breeze. That’s because it is natural and comfortable to use the pen. Nevertheless, with time, using the device may start feeling natural as well. That is regardless of whether you are activating setting, moving, erasing, selecting, drawing or signing using your pen. Since the mechanism is similar to that of using pen and paper, the most important thing is to know how that transition can be smooth and fast. Check out how to simplify that transition that will for sure change your drawing experience.
Tips when it comes to using a graphics tablet and the pen
- If you have to work under pressure may be due to tight schedules and deadlines that are not easy to beat, then it is not the right time to transit.
- Don’t customize your tablet before you are familiar with working with default settings. In most cases, the default settings are the most basic hence easy to learn and understand.
- Once it is time to customize the settings, experiment various options and compare their effects and results. Based on what the multiple configurations offer, select the one that suits you the best.
- If you want to master the art of clicking and to drag using a pen, it is high time you started using them to do fun things such as playing the game. The enjoyment will make the frustrations which come with learning a new tool-less obvious.
- Practice the various concepts without necessarily coming up with a constructive graphic. Right click, click, drag, open and close over and over again until it starts feeling normal.
- Start with letters and other basic shapes before proceeding to complicated structures.
- Find already existing graphics and try to reproduce them with your graphics tablet and pen. Make sure that the new image resembles the original one in the best way possible.
- Ensure that you practice daily until you can draw fast and perfectly with the pen. Don’t forget to start from the basics to the complicated ones to avoid extending the transition period.
- See to it that you hold your pen in the most comfortable way possible. For instance, hold it the way you do when it comes to your writing pen.
- The fact that you are learning something new, means that you should be patient. It is the only way that you deal with the frustrations that come with the new adventure. Otherwise, you will give up even before you can learn the art.
- As long as you are drawing, the tip will your stylus should point directly on the drawing surface.
- Never forget that pens have a feature by the name pressure sensitivity. Therefore, the thickness of the lines depends on the pressure that you put on the pen.
Reasons why we need to use a drawing tablet
Those who set aside the mouse for a drawing tablet reap a million and one benefits. This segment highlights why we need to use a drawing tablet. Read on!
- First, a drawing tablet comes with a stylus which resembles a typical pen. Therefore, it is one of the best ways that one can indulge in digital drawing in a way that feels natural. The curves can be smooth just like the conventional pen.
- The stylus also moves freely which is the contrary of the situation when it comes to using the mouse. As a result of that, there are low chances of straining your wrist which can not only be painful but also affect your productivity.
- A drawing tablet has hotkeys. The shortcuts make it easy to perform functions effortlessly and relatively fast. For that reason, the artist does little to achieve common features which avoid fatigue and improves productivity.
- Those who have drawn using a mouse knows how hard it is to come up with drawings if they are small and intricate. That can be frustrating, and one can also end up with a bad graphic. However, that is not usually the case when it comes to graphics tablets especially after you get used to it.
- Another plus is the fact that many pens can detect the amount of pressure that an artist applies. That is a concept that simplifies copying an already existing graphics. In addition to that, it facilitates the application of light and dark lines without having to do too much. You can also check out this: Best Drawing Tablet in 2019
From the above discussion, virtually all the questions regarding a drawing tablet have been answered. Therefore, readers are now well-informed regarding factors to put in mind when buying a graphics tablet to ensure that what they get is worthwhile. How to connect it to a computer and subsequently use it for drawing is also no longer a thing of the past. For those who are in the fence regarding which way to go, natural or digital, can now make that decision with ease. After all, it is clear regarding what one stands to benefit if they purchase the gadget. Once one decides to go to the digital side, this piece is also helping in the transition. With the tips on how to master this art, learning the new venture may turn out to be a breeze. Equally important, a drawing tablet is no longer a vocabulary from now henceforth.